How to share Kaltura videos and audio recordings
Once you have recorded or uploaded your video(s) or audio recording(s) into My Media, there are several methods you can use to share them with others:
- Embed them via the content editor
- Grab the embed code (not recommended - for technical users only)
- Publish them to the course Media Gallery
- Embed a group of media content (instructors only)
- Share download link with students (instructors only)
Method #1: Embed them via the content editor
You can share Kaltura media inside your Canvas course site anywhere the Kaltura icon appears using Canvas's Rich Content Editor. This means that you can embed media into places like discussion board threads, assignment submissions (using the body text), quizzes, and wiki pages.
To do so:
- Select the Embed Kaltura Media iconin the rich content editor.
- In the window that appears, locate the Kaltura file you want to embed. Click the Select button to the right of the video you want to embed. If you wish to make the video thumbnail larger or smaller, you can press the drop-down arrow on the right side of the button.
- Your media will now appear in the Rich Content Editor.
- Once you're satisfied with the placement of the media item, click Save at the bottom of the page to save your changes.
Method #2: Embed using HTML code (technical users only)
Instructors, keep in mind:
- If you use this method, Kaltura will not be able to track student analytics data for your media.
- The "show/hide transcript" option will be unavailable.
- Go to your My Media page.
- Scroll through your media library until you find the item you would like to share.
- Click on the item's thumbnail or title to bring up that item's main page.
- Underneath the video, select the blue Details button. Then, select the Share option.
- This will expand a new menu. The Embed box will permit you to copy the HTML code for the Kaltura player for use in an HTML editor. The Player Skin menu will permit you to select which variety of the Kaltura player you want that code to insert into a page, and the Player Size option displays a few different size options (in pixels) for the Kaltura player that the code will embed on the page.
- You can now paste this code into any website you want or into Canvas using the HTML editor. To share the media in Canvas, use the Rich Content Editor and switch to HTML Editor mode:
This will swap the editor view to HTML code. Any text or content you have placed in the text box will be displayed as HTML code.
- Take the code you copied from the Kaltura video page and paste it where you would like to have the video embedded. Then, press the Save button.
- OR -
6a. Select the Insert/edit media button within the Rich Content editor.
7a. Select the Embed tab. This present you with a text box. Paste the HTML code into that box and click OK.
8a. Your video is now embedded on the page.
The Course Media menu item (if enabled by the instructor), puts all of the course media into one happy place called the "Media Gallery":
See How to publish audio/video to your course's Media Gallery for step-by-step instructions.
Students: You normally have to wait for your instructor to approve your video before it is shared with other students. If you have any questions about the status of your video, please contact your instructor.
Method #4: Embed a group of media content (instructors only)
Instructors, if you have a group of media content you wish to share, you can use the Playlists feature, so long as Course Media is enabled on your Canvas site.
- Make certain the Course Media menu item is enabled on your course site.
- Make certain that you have published all of the media you need to the Media Gallery.
- Navigate to Course Media (a.k.a. the Media Gallery) and select the Actions icon (three stacked horizontal black bars) in the upper right of the screen.
- Select the Edit option.
- This will take you into the Edit screen for the Course Media/Media Gallery. Select the Playlists button in the upper left.
- Click Create New, and select Manual Playlist from the drop-down menu that appears.
- This will open up a window where you can create a playlist manually. Here, you can insert:
- A title
- A description of the video
- Tags to be associated with the video
- Click Add Media.
- Your published media content will display along the left. Press the little blue Add  button to add it to your playlist .
- If needed, change the order of your media by dragging and dropping the cluster of six boxes () to the left of each video in the playlist queue:
- Once you have selected all of your media content and arranged them in the desired order, click the blue Save button in the lower right. Note: you can always come back to this page later.
- Your playlist has now been created. Click the Media Gallery text at the top of the page to go back to the main Course Media page for this course site.
- From here, you can see that the new playlist is visible under the Playlists tab. You can also click the Media tab to view all individual videos in your Media Gallery. Your students should now be able to view your new video playlist in the site's Course Media page.
If you would like to embed your playlist in a content page, or somewhere other than the Media Gallery, continue to follow these directions. If you only wish for your students to access your playlist from the Media Gallery, then you do not need to continue to follow these steps.
- Click the button with three grey bars on the top right of the screen.
- Click the Edit button in the menu that appears. This will take you to the "Edit Media Gallery" screen.
- Click Playlists at the top of the screen. This will take you to a table displaying all of your current playlists.
- Find the row with the playlist you would like to embed, and then click the Embed link under the "Copy Embed" column.
- This will open a window where you can select what sort of playlist arrangement (vertical vs. horizontal list) you would like the embed code to render. Select your preference and then copy the entire code displayed in the grey area.
- From here, you can paste that HTML code into any Canvas page you're editing. Go to any page, assignment, or other Canvas area where you would like to embed the playlist. From there, go to the Edit menu. Alternately, you can just create a new assignment or page.
- This will take you to the Rich Content Editor. Click the HTML Editor link in the top right.
- This will take you to a different view of your page, where you can see and edit the raw HTML code that the page is constructed from. The page is blank, so there is no HTML code currently.
Paste your copied playlist embed code into the editor.
Click Save at the bottom of the page to save your changes to that page's code.
- Your playlist has been added to the page successfully and you can publish the page at your leisure.
Method #5: Share a download link with students
Use the method described in our How to download Kaltura videos article to enable downloading for an individual video, then share the link with students as described there.