How do I create Assignment weights?
You can create assignment groups and assign weights (%) for each assignment group to calculate the final grade out of a total of 100%.
Note: Canvas treats all graded items as Assignments, e.g., Discussions, Quizzes, etc.
The weights for all assignment groups must add up to a total of 100%
The following is an example of weights for three assignment groups:
- Assignments: 50%
- Discussions: 10%
- Exams: 40%
To create assignment groups follow the steps below:
- Select Assignments in your course navigation menu.
- Select the + Group button in the upper right.
- Type the Group Name, e.g., Assignments
- Assign weight (%), e.g., 50%
- Select the Save button
You have successfully created the assignment group "Assignments" that is 50% of the final grade.
6. Repeat Steps 2-5 to create more assignment groups.
To make adjustments or edits to the weights:
- Select the icon and select Assignment Group Weights from the drop-down
- Make edits to the group weight as necessary and select the Save button
You can also create all assignments/graded items (e.g., Discussions, Quizzes, Assignments) for each group here. Follow the steps below:
- Select the + Button in an assignment group
- From the drop-down menu, select the type of assignment to be created, enter Points for the assignment, and select the Save button.
Note: Only Publish content that is ready to be accessed by students.
See the screenshot below for a complete example of Assignments and Assignment Groups with Weights in a course.