Instructors: How to import the FSU Emergency Module into your course site from Commons
The FSU Emergency Module is a tool to help with both proactive and reactive emergency course management that can be used in both distance-learning and face-to-face courses.
- Log into Canvas.
- On the garnet global navigation menu on the left, click the Commons icon.
- Because Canvas Commons includes content from all organizations that use Canvas, you will want to narrow the resources displayed to only FSU-specific items. Click the Filter button in the top right of the screen.
- In the filter menu that appears, for the "shared with" option select Florida State University. Click the X button at the top left of the Filter menu to close it.
- On the main Commons page, the content displayed should now be restricted to FSU-specific items. Type "emergency" or "FSU Emergency Module" into the search bar at the top of the page.
- Scroll through your search results until you see the FSU Emergency Module. Once you have located it, click the blue FSU Emergency Module text.
- On the FSU Emergency Module page you can view the details of what the module contains. In the upper-right area, click the blue Import/Download button.
- This will pull up a list of your Canvas course and development sites. Check the box for the site(s) you want to import the Emergency Module into. Then, click the Import into Course button. This will begin importing the Emergency Module into your selected course(s).
- You should see a green banner that reads "You have successfully started the import! Please note that it may take a while to see changes in your course" at the top of the page.
- Navigate over to the Canvas site(s) that you imported the Emergency Module into.
- Once you are in your course site, select Modules on the course navigation menu.
From here, you can view the Emergency Module and its content. By default, the module itself and the Emergency Resources Page contained in it are published so that you are all set for the start of the semester! We strongly recommend that you publish the Pre-Emergency Survey during the second week of class, and keep all other items unpublished until they are needed. Please note that the Instructor Overview page is not intended to be published - it is for your reference only. It may also be helpful to your students to move the Emergency Module to the top of the Modules page and/or create a course Announcement to direct students to it.