My students have already submitted their papers - can I still have them checked for plagiarism by Turnitin?
If you assign your students papers to submit in your Canvas course and you forget or otherwise opt out of using Turnitin to check their papers for plagiarism, you now have the option of using Turnitin to check papers after they have been submitted in Canvas using Turnitin Direct.
Keep in mind:
- You can only do this with Canvas online assignments that required file upload or text entry submissions.
- If your Canvas online assignment required a file upload, then your students must have submitted one of the following file types that are compatible with Turnitin:
- Text (.txt)
- Microsoft Word (.doc/.docx)
- Microsoft PowerPoint (.ppt/.pptx)
- Postcript (.ps)
- Portable Document Format (.pdf)
- Rich Text Format (.rtf)
- HyperText Markup Language (.html)
- WordPerfect (.wp)
- Hangul (.hwp)
- Open Office (.odt/.ods/.odp)
Part 1: Changing your Canvas assignment to a Turnitin Direct assignment
Follow the steps in our How to create a Turnitin Direct assignment. The process of changing an existing Canvas assignment into a Turnitin Direct assignment is identical to setting up a brand new Turnitin Direct assignment. You will be able to customize your Turnitin settings as desired. Make sure to save your changes when you are finished.
Part 2: Pushing student submissions through Turnitin
Once Turnitin Direct has been set up within the assignment you're working in, you will need to go to SpeedGrader to release student submissions to Turnitin.
- On the assignment that you have been working on, select SpeedGrader under the "related items" menu.
- This will take you to the first student in your course with a submission. In the upper right corner of the screen click the Resubmit to Turnitin button.
This will submit the student's assignment submission to Turnitin for analysis. You will initially see a grey watch icon on the page, indicating that the submission is still processing.
Depending on your chosen settings and Turnitn's status, the student submission will eventually receive a similarity score.
- You do not have to wait for each student's similarity score to be processed before submitting the next student's assignment for analysis. Go ahead and navigate through your course roster and find other student submissions that require analysis. You can do this by clicking either the right arrow or down arrow located in the upper right corner next to the student name.
You will need to click the Resubmit to Turnitin button for every student submission that was made prior to enabling Turnitin Direct in your assignment. However, student submissions that occur after you enabled Turnitin Direct will be automatically processed.