Using Canvas Integration: How to schedule a Zoom meeting
- Log into FSU's Canvas at canvas.fsu.edu.
- Open the course in which you have enabled Zoom.
- Select Zoom on your course navigation menu.
- Click the blue Schedule a New Meeting button in the upper right of the page.
- Select the settings you would like for your Zoom meeting.
- Topic: enter in a name for your session.
- Scheduling options: Select the date, start time, duration of meeting, time zone, and whether or not this will be a recurring meeting.
- Audio and Video options: Select whether or not you would like to use a webcam and whether to allow your students (participants) to share webcam video. For large courses, we recommend that participants not be using a webcam when they join the meeting. You can always have individual students share their webcam later if needed. For the audio options, we recommend selecting both so that if your students have any trouble with using their computer audio they can easily dial in to the meeting via a phone as well.
- Meeting options: Select the options that you wish to use. To improve security, we recommend requiring meeting password and mute participants upon entry both be selected. Enable waiting room may also help to improve the security of your meeting, but you and/or your co-host(s) will need to manually allow your students to enter the meeting if you select this option. Learn more about using a password vs. waiting room for your meetings.
If you will not have any guest speakers (non-FSU speakers) in your meeting, check the box to require that only authenticated users may join your meeting. This prevents anyone without a Zoom account from accessing your meeting.
- Alternative Hosts: If you wish to make a TA or co-instructor your meeting moderator or co-host, enter in their email address. Alternatively, you can always assign a co-host from within Zoom at any time during your meeting.
We strongly recommend that you check the Record the meeting automatically to the Zoom cloud check box. This means you will not have to remember to start the recording when you start your meeting - if this box is not checked and you do not manually record the meeting, then there will be no way to go back and retrieve a recording of your Zoom meeting. If you record your Zoom meeting to the cloud, then it will automatically be added to your Kaltura account and you will be able to download it and save it to your local computer if you wish.
- Click the blue Save button at the bottom of the page.
- A meeting summary page will appear. On this page you can view the join URL or the meeting invitation. You can navigate away from this page by clicking Course Meetings in the upper left of the page to go back to your course's Zoom landing page. You can navigate back to the meeting summary page at any time if needed.
- Post a Canvas course announcement or send an email to your students notifying them of the date and time of your Zoom meeting. In this message, direct students to click on the Zoom link on your course navigation menu and join the meeting from there.
WE DO NOT RECOMMEND SHARING THE ZOOM JOIN URL WITH STUDENTS
We no longer recommend sharing your Zoom meeting's "join URL" with your students either within Canvas or via email for whole-course meetings because of the recent "zoombombing" that has occurred in Zoom class meetings. Requiring students to join from within your Canvas course site helps to secure your meeting from being hijacked by Zoom trolls. Learn more about securing your Zoom meetings.