How do I message my students in a course before the semester starts?
There are two ways you can communicate with students in your course before the semester start date:
- Use the Faculty Center email roster tool in myFSU.
- Publish your course and move up the course start date in Canvas.
How to publish your Canvas course
- In the Home page, select to Publish the course.
How to move up your course start date
- Select Settings
- In the Course Details tab, scroll down to the Starts and Ends text boxes. Select the Calendar icon to the right of these boxes to select course Start and End dates. Make sure to check the "users can only participate in the course between these dates" checkbox.
Note: By default, the course publish date is set as the Starts date.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click the Update Course Details button.
Now, you are ready to use your Canvas Inbox to send messages to your class, or use course features such as Announcements to communicate with your class.
Note: Students must have Canvas notifications for Conversation Message and Announcement turned on to receive alerts via email.